Exposed

>> Friday, February 22, 2013


Author: Kimberly Marcus
Recommended Age: Young Adult
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
ISBN: 978-0-375-86693-7
Year Published: 2011
No. Pages: 261
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Main Character Gender: Female
Read & Reviewed by: Lisa



What if something so horrible happened that you were forced to choose between your best friend or your brother? Whom would you choose?

This is a novel about sixteen-year-old Elizabeth Grayson, also known as Liz. Liz and her best friend Kate, have always been inseparable, and they couldn't imagine it any other way. At one of their regular, monthly sleepovers, the two of them have a fight which causes them to sleep in different rooms. The fight also caused some distance between the two of them. Kate avoids Liz, leaving her frustrated and confused. When Kate finally tells her that Liz's brother raped her, Liz is shocked and is forced to decide whom to trust. Her decision can either ruin her relationship with her brother, or her relationship with Kate.

Exposed was written in first person narrative so I could get into Liz's head and understand her inner struggle as she decides who to believe. Written in free verse, the story is fast paced and cut to the bone. Kimberly Marcus got right to the point without sugar-coating any of it, treating me, the reader, with maturity. I couldn't put the book down because I wanted to know who Liz would choose. The suspense kept me reading.

The book deals with some mature subject matter, and Marcus gave a honest look at the difficult issue of rape. After Liz's brother gets accused of raping her best friend, Liz's whole world changes. Marcus gave a realistic point portrayal of how this affected all those involved and how it fractured Liz's family. I realized that rape doesn't only affect the victim but all those involved.

I loved this beautifully written novel and I wouldn't change anything about it. I would rate this book an 11 out of 10 for its wonderful use of free verse poetry. I read this book fairly quickly because I was eager to learn how things would unfold. I would recommend this book to young adults who are willing to explore and gain insight on this mature subject.


design by:

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP