The Maze Runner

>> Monday, February 6, 2012


Author: James Dashner
Recommended Age: 12 and up
Publisher: Delacorte
ISBN-10: 0385737955
ISBN-13: 978-0385737951
Year Published: 2009
No. Pages: 400
Genre: Fantasy
Main Character Gender: Male
Read & Reviewed by: Jarrett



When Thomas wakes up in a metal elevator, he has no memory of his past except for his first name. He is not alone. When the elevator doors open, he is welcomed by other teenagers into the Glade-an open area surrounded by four giant stone walls. Just like Thomas, these boys have no idea why or how they arrived in the Glade. All they know is that the stone doors open each morning and close each night. Runners are sent out to map the shifting maze that surrounds the Glade, in an attempt to find an exit. Some Runners never return from their daily excursion, becoming victims of Grievers- part animal, part machine.

Every 30 days, a new boy arrives. The day after Thomas enters the Glade, a girl arrives for the first time, bearing a message. Does Thomas hold the key to this maze? Will he ever find his way out and lead the others to safety?

What I loved about this book is the plot. It is one of the best plots I've ever read. From the beginning of the book, there are massive amounts of tension, violence, mystery and danger at every turn. Unlike other novels, there was no slow start or dull parts. At the end of almost every chapter there would be cliffhanger or a twist that would completely change the story and create great amounts of suspense. James Dashner also made the book like a maze for me, the reader, as I tried to put the pieces of the story together to see the big picture. I had so many questions that I wanted answers to. These questions drew me more deeply into the book because, the beginning of the story was a mystery since I knew nothing. Just like Thomas, I had to piece together the information. Some of my questions were: “Who created the maze? What was even the purpose of basic torturing and killing these kids? Why couldn’t these kids remember any of there past?”

Dashner created an amazing main character in Thomas; he is brave, takes risks and he voices his thoughts even when it may put him at risk. Thomas echoed my questions about the novel so I felt like he was in my head. Thomas also isn't flawless which makes him better and a more believable character.

Dashner created his own slang such as, “greenie”, “klunk”, “shank”, and “greiver” and this strengthened the reality of Dashner perplexing world. The setting itself was outstanding, and beyond anything I've ever read. The setting is not unlike The Hunger Games as both of these stories are not black and white and there seems to be something deeper and more chilling behind each story.

I give this book a 10 out of 10 for its plot and its suspenseful writing I would recommended this book to someone who enjoys action over character novels.


design by:

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP