Discovering the Iceman

>> Wednesday, February 20, 2013


Author: Shelly Tanaka
Recommended Age: All Ages
Publisher: Scholastic Press
ISBN: 0-590-24950-9
Year Published: 1996
No. Pages: 48
Genre: Informational
Main Character Gender: Male
Read & Reviewed by: Aaron


How would you react if you found a 5,300 year old man in the ice?

Discovering the Iceman tells about the 1991 discovery, identification, and study of a Stone Age man, and his belongings, that were preserved in a glacier.

This informational book is divided into three sections: the first one describes how the Iceman was discovered and the first reactions; the second section is a tale based on how the Iceman is speculated to have died as well as recounting a possible version of his life . The third section describes how the discovery of the Iceman has contributed to scientific research.
I found this book well laid out and easy to follow. The book holds visual appeal because of the archival photos and illustrations. The visual gave me a better idea on what the Iceman looked like and so I understood the book more clearly.

This book is awesome. It sucked me in and I couldn't free myself because I was so captivated by this man. For a non-fiction book, it was an uncomplicated read. It wasn't weighed down by difficult language and too many facts. Shelley Tanaka weaved in anecdotes and stories which made this non-fiction book read more like a story than a list of facts.

My favourite part of this book is when Tanaka shares what scientists believed the Iceman's possible life story may have been based on their scientific research. I find it amazing what stories and artifacts can tell us about our past.

I loved this book and rated it a 10 out of 10. I would recommend this book to people who are interested in history and mummies. It is also good for people who want to learn something new. This book is easy to read and everyone will be mesmerized by the photos of this 5, 300 year old man.


design by:

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP