Finding Somewhere

>> Tuesday, August 21, 2012


Author: Joseph Monninger
Recommended Age: 12 and up
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
ISBN-10: 0385739427
ISBN-13: 978-0385739429
Year Published: 2011
No. Pages: 240
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Main Character Gender: Female
Read & Reviewed by: Kestrel 


Hattie is a 16 year old girl with a love of horses. She loves an old horse named Speed whom she takes care of for another family. Speed has worked his whole life hauling young children around over boring everyday trails- the only thing he has ever known how to do. Hattie knows that Speed's time on earth is limited and the night before he's scheduled to be shot she steels him. With the help of her friend Delores, they run away from home with hopes of giving speed a chance at being a free horse. They explore the west in search of a sutible rangeland for Speed. Speed is not the only one being set free, as Hattie and Delores weave there way through the west, they explore new ways to work out complications of their past and gain insights on their future.


I thought Joseph Monninger captured teenage girls' voices very well. I believe the dialogue shared by the two best friends and Hattie's inner voice reflected my own. Finding Somewhere was written in first person through Hattie's eye's which allowed me to share her thoughts as well as develop my own opinions and see the world from her perspective.

Monninger used lots of imagery that enabled me to envision the story. One example was, "The topsoil in the grasslands once held the thickness of a chocolate layer cake, dense and sweet." Vivid imagery goes a long way in enabling the story to become more of a movie behind my eyelids rather than just a story on paper. Monninger used "cut to the bone" writing so the story was simple without being simple in the way he weaved his characters or their problems.

As I read, I found myself more and more eager to talk to Hattie and Delores about their problems and give them advice. At times, I could feel anger rise in my chest, tears well behind my eyes and laughter blurt out of my mouth in response to their conversations or thoughts about one another and the coming fate of Speed. It was hard for me to put this book down because I had developed a strong and intense connection with the characters.

Friendship and trust played a big part within this novel. Hattie and Delores connected throughout the trip. I was able to feel their sense of humour towards one another and even relate to their playful pranks. Together, Hattie and Delores tackled their problems and established where they stood within their friendship. Hattie also developed a friendship with Speed. Throughout the book Hattie and Speed seemed to understand one another.  I can relate to the way Hattie connected with Speed as I feel the same way about horses.

I rated this book a 9/10 because I enjoyed the plot and the writing style amazed me.  Monninger could capture a moment by using detailed writing skills. I recommend this book to any young adult interested in horses, friendship and a fairly fast-paced read.


design by:

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP