Grossology

>> Monday, November 21, 2011


Author: Sylvia Branzei
Illustrator: Jack Keely  
Recommended Age: 9 +
Publisher: Price Stern Sloan Merch
ISBN-10: 0843149140
ISBN-13: 978-0843149142
Year Published: 2002
No. Pages: 80
Genre: Informational
Read & Reviewed by: Mia


 Can there be a gross, hilarious informational book? The answer is yes. There can be and there is one - Grossology. This is an non-fiction book about revoltin, yet scientifically accurate information.

By reading it you will learn about dandruff, bad breathe, zits, poop, and eye gunk. I learned that dandruff doesn't cause baldness and that if you eat lots of beets your pee turns red. All this disgusting, and at times stomach-turning information is oddly appealing yet uproarious.

Sylvia Branzei crafted this book well. Readers will be drawn to the bold titles for each section. What I liked is that when I came across a big word that was difficult to pronounce the pronunciation was beside it in brackets. I found that Branzei really peppered this book with fun facts and historical tidbits. The book itself is organized into the following sections: Slimy, Mushy, Oozy Gross Things. Crusty, Scaly, Gross Thing. Stinky, Smelly, Gross Things. It also provides experiments to help grab the interest of kids. For example, I learned how to make fake blisters and snot. All you need for S'not Snot is borax, water, Elmer's glue and green vegetable dye.

Jack Keely the illustrator drew humorous drawings . Their comedy pulled me further into the book. The drawings also helped me understand the concepts more. He illustrated close-ups of bacteria and fun diagrams, such as the nose, when discussing snot. These gave me good visuals which not only made me laugh but deepened my understanding.

I rated this book a 10 out of 10. I would recommend this book to people that can handle bathroom humour and anyone that wants a fast yet informative read, not to mention a laugh. It also helps kids know that as gross as this stuff is, it is all natural.


design by:

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP